It might sound simple, isn't it just sugar & water? Ahh but my friend you've come this far, so clearly you're not here to mess around. Sickly sweet syrups & undissolved sugar granules are total cocktail spoilers. Booo. Let's get the recipe & method right the first time, so you can make a perfectly balanced sugar syrup for your Old Fashioned or Whiskey Sour.
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring device
- Air tight jar or container
- 1 part granulated sugar (or alternative)
- 1 part water
- Combine equal parts sugar & water in a saucepan, bring to simmer
- Reduce heat & stir occasionally to dissolve sugar
- Allow to cool & store in an air tight jar or container in the fridge for 1 month
TIPS, TRICKS & FUN FACTS
- SIMPLE SYRUP - A 1:1 sugar syrup is also known as a simple syrup & can be kept in the freezer for 1 year
- RICH SYRUP - A rich syrup is made using 2:1 sugar:water & lasts 6 months in the fridge, however may not freeze due to the high sugar content
- COLD VERSION - This recipe can be made without a saucepan using cold/room temperature water, but be prepared for lots of stirring over a much longer time!
- FLAVOURS - You can add other flavours like bitters, lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla or ginger to the syrup. Try cooking with fruit pieces - use a little for a colour change or a lot for a jammy texture
- ALTERNATIVES - Brown sugar or agave nectar are alternatives with the same ratios. Other sweeteners can be used but observe their ratios - honey:water 3:2, maple:water 1:2
- HEALTHIER - Although it's a sugar mix, homemade syrups are often healthier, as they don't contain hidden preservatives or flavours that store-bought versions may have.. winning!
Found this recipe mega awesome?
- Let us know below!
Not sure what the heck you just read?
- Hmm, still let us know.
Discovered a more epic syrup recipe?
- YES! Let us know!
Ready to check out the range?
Glassware for the home bar
If you're looking to nail that housewarming gift or add to your home bar essentials, you can do all your shopping right here! With this list of cho...
Cocktail gift accessories for parties & cocktail enthusiasts
Shopping for your cocktail enthusiast friend doesn’t have to be a struggle. Here's a list of interesting & unusual accessories you can buy for ...
At-home smoked cocktail techniques and how to nail them!
Now that you're craving a smoked cocktail, it's time to learn the different techniques for creating the finished product—after all, it's about the ...